The Hawai’i Performing Arts Festival is a training program that provides the necessary tools for young, aspiring singers. The opportunity to hone one’s craft on the Big Island is something magical! Being a part of the Hawai’i Performing Arts Festival was an experience of a lifetime for me: I made long lasting friendships, relationships with mentors and now colleagues, got to prepare and perform an opera role with orchestra all while being fully immersed in the beautiful Hawaiian culture and aloha spirit.
Soprano, Cecilia Violetta López, named one of opera’s “25 Rising Stars” by Opera News.
Who This Is For
The Margareta and Staffan Encrantz Professional Fellowship is intended for exceptional young artists who are career ready. Only highly competitive artists need apply.
- Operatic applicants should have completed at least one recognized young artist program (i.e. Santa Fe Opera, Central City Opera, Opera Saratoga, Sarasota Opera, etc.), or be able to demonstrate that level of ability in audition and application materials.
- Musical theatre applicants should have regional leading and supporting credits, understudy, and/or swing experience, or be able demonstrate that level of ability in audition and application materials.
Hawaii Performing Arts Festival is pleased to offer a professional training performance for young artists who are career ready. While in residence, Encrantz Fellows receive a minimum of two voice lessons per week, coachings, and participate in masterclasses and workshops with industry professionals. All fellows will sing a leading role in one of the festival’s four MainStage productions.
Previous participants have received offers for professional representation and secured regional contracts as a result of their work at HPAF. Many of the program’s alumni have also gone onto sing with some of the nations greatest companies, including: The Metropolitan Opera, Virginia Opera, Sarasota Opera, Opera Tampa, and Florida Grand Opera, among others.
For either live, or recorded auditions, you must submit the following:
- Baroque Aria (Handel, preferred)
- Classical Musical Theatre Selection (Kurt Weil or R&H, preferred)
- Contemporary American Aria (only for baritones & mezzos wishing to be considered for As One)
- Contrasting Aria of Choice
If you only wish to be considered for Carousel and/or Threepenny, please prepare:
- Classical Musical Ballad Up-Tempo
- Classical Musical Theatre Ballad
- Contrasting Selection of Choice
- Kurt Weill or R&H is strongly encouraged for at least one selection.
- No musical theatre cuts will be permitted. Full selections, only.
- Legit sopranos specifically auditioning for the role of Lucy in Threepenny should showcase a sustained High C in their offerings.
Tuition & Financial Aid
All Encrantz Fellows receive a full-tuition waiver, housing, and on-campus meals while in residence. They are, however, responsible for their travel to/from Hawaii and ground transportation for the duration of the program. HPAF is happy to provide assistance with coordinating car shares to help reduce transportation costs for all Professional Fellows.