Val Underwood, HPAF Artistic Director
Paul Floyd, Co-Chair Collaborative Piano / Assistant Music Director Professional Fellow Program; Music Director/Conductor, Orpheus in The Underworld
Ronny Michael Greenberg, Co-Chair Collaborative Piano / Assistant Music Director Professional Fellow Program; Vocal Coach
Alexandra Enyart, Music Director/Conductor, As One
Justin John Moniz, HPAF Executive Director; Music Director/Conductor, Hair
Hawaii Performing Arts Festival’s Collaborative Piano/Assistant Music Director Professional Fellowship Program will award Fellowships to three outstanding pianist/conductors, aiming for careers in the Collaborative Piano / Music Director / Conductor field.
Fellows will work closely with our piano faculty in one-on-one lessons and Masterclasses focusing on vocal coaching, orchestral reductions, conducting, pianistic skills and other aspects of the work of a collaborative pianist and coach. Each fellow will be assigned as a primary rehearsal pianist for one of our Mainstage productions (As One, Orpheus in The Underworld, Hair) under the guidance of our Music Directors.
Fellowships will include full tuition, housing, and on campus meals. Transportation to/from Hawai’i is the responsibility of the artist. In addition, ground transportation is not provided. Fellows often share rental cars to offset this expense. Car shares can be arranged by contacting Shayna Leahy, Artistic Administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org, following the acceptance of an offer.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Each Fellow will be assigned Rehearsal Pianist and Assistant Music Director duties for one Mainstage production under the supervision of the Co-Chairs of the Collaborative Piano / Music Direction Program including:
- Rehearsal Accompaniment
- Coaching singers
- Attending orchestra rehearsals
- Possibly accompanying and assisting with affiliated Concert and Community Engagement Concerts and Performances
- Possibly assisting with other Mainstage Productions
Keys to the Orchestra: Fashioning Your Own Orchestral Accompaniments Paul Floyd
Reading from full scores, we will create and perform more exciting and accurate piano / vocal transcriptions.
Love At First Sight: The Art of Playing Auditions Ronny Michael Greenberg
To best connect with and support singers in an audition setting, we will explore verbal and non-verbal techniques to help establish trust and confidence. The short interaction that happens before the music begins can significantly impact the outcome of an audition. Three singers present two arias each from their package which the pianists will be informed of prior to the class. Each singer / pianist will have one minute to connect about both arias, and then perform it for the first time together. There is no rehearsal in advance! For the sake of the class, we would pick repertoire that is not too challenging.
Pianists Only: Mastering Your Piano Performance Val Underwood
With selections from Art Song, Chamber Music, or solo repertoire, we will address improving and mastering technical challenges, producing outstanding tone quality and playing with more ease (pianists will submit performance selections prior to the Festival).
- Interested artists may apply with no application fee through YAP Tracker.If you have a preference for a specific production please indicate.
- Resumé (include link to your website, if applicable)
- A letter of recommendation from an recognized industry professional who can speak to your ability in collaborative keyboard arts
- Two video recordings (see details below)
- Please play and sing at least two of the following. Selections should best represent your strengths.
- Any selection of your choice from the Operetta repertory
- A selection from an opera by a living composer
- A selection from Hair or a comparable Musical Theater selection
- Please submit a performance of a solo, chamber work (instrumental or vocal), or art song demonstrating the level of your pianistic skill.
Links should be uploaded to YouTube with links included on your YapTracker application.