Val Underwood (Artistic Director)
Paul Floyd (Chair), Music Director/Conductor, Acis and Galatea
Ronny Michael Greenberg, Music Director/Conductor, As One
Ana Flavia Zuim, Music Director/Conductor, Carousel
Laurie Rogers, Music Director/Conductor, The Threepenny Opera
Hawaii Performing Arts Festival’s Collaborative Piano Fellowship Program will award fellowships to three outstanding pianists who are aiming for careers in the collaborative piano field.
Fellows will work closely with our piano faculty in one-on-one lessons and masterclasses which will focus on the art of vocal coaching, making orchestral reductions, continuo playing, audition repertoire, and other aspects of work of an operatic pianist and coach. Each fellow will be assigned as a primary rehearsal pianist for one of our four staged productions, under the guidance of our esteemed music directors.
This season, one fellow will be assigned to assist both As One and The Threepenny Opera. Two additional fellows will each be assigned to assist either Acis and Galatea or Carousel. All fellows will have the opportunity to interface with our entire staff of world-renowned directors and artistic personnel.
Fellowships will include full tuition, housing, and on campus meals. Transportation to/from Hawai’i is the responsible of the artist. In addition, ground transportation is not provided. Fellows often share rental cars to offset this expense. Car shares can be arranged by contacting Shayna Leahy, Artistic Administrator, at email@example.com, following the acceptance of an offer.
- Resumé (include link to your website, if applicable)
- Two letters of recommendation from recognized industry professional who can speak to your ability in collaborative keyboard arts
- Two video recordings (see details below)
1. Choose ONE of the following to play and sing:
- Handel, recitative and aria: Anzi tu pur…Non disperar (from Giulio Cesare)
- Handel: Da tempeste il legno infranto (from Giulio Cesare)
- Mozart, recitative and aria: Temerari…Come scoglio (from Così fan tutte)
- Mozart, recitative and aria: Tutto è disposto…Aprite un po’ quegl’occhi (from Le Nozze di Figaro)
2. Choose ONE of the following to play and sing:
- ANY selection from an opera or musical of Kurt Weill
- ANY selection from a musical of Rodgers and Hammerstein
- A solo or vocal chamber music/art song selection of your choice
Both links should be uploaded to YouTube with links included on your YapTracker application.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICANTS IS FEBRUARY 15, 2020.