James Meyers, Chair
Val Underwood, HPAF Artistic Director
Maika’i Nash, Vocal Coaching Faculty
Justin John Moniz, HPAF Executive Director; Music Director/Conductor, Little Women
…and additional faculty to be announced!
Hawaii Performing Arts Festival’s Collaborative Piano/Assistant Music Director Professional Fellowship Program will award Fellowships to two outstanding pianist/conductors, aiming for careers in the collaborative piano, music director, and/or conducting field.
Fellows will work closely with our piano faculty in one-on-one lessons and masterclasses focusing on vocal coaching, orchestral reductions, conducting, pianistic skills and other aspects of the work of a collaborative pianist and coach. Each fellow will be assigned as a primary rehearsal pianist for one of our mainstage productions (L’incoronazione di Poppea and Little Women) under the guidance of our music directors.
ALL PROGRAM PARTICIPANTS will also receive education and experiences in traditional Hawaiian arts, history, and local landmarks. The beauty of the Hawaiian culture and ‘Āina are essential to the experience of our Festival.
All Fellows receive a full-tuition waiver, shared housing accommodations, and on-campus meals while in residence. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are provided on all days on-site, except performance days, tech days, and Festival dark days.
Roundtrip airfare to/from Kona (KOA) is the responsibility all participants. A rental car will be required for the duration of the Festival and can be shared amongst participants to lower the cost. Car shares can be arranged by contacting Shayna Leahy, Artistic Administrator, at email@example.com, following the acceptance of an offer.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Each Fellow will be assigned Rehearsal Pianist and Assistant Music Director duties for one mainstage production under the supervision of the Co-Chairs of the Collaborative Piano / Music Direction Program including:
- Rehearsal Accompaniment
- Coaching singers
- Attending orchestra rehearsals
- Possibly accompanying and assisting with affiliated Concert and Community Engagement Concerts and Performances
- Possibly assisting with other Mainstage Productions
- Interested artists may apply with no application fee through YAP Tracker. If you have a preference for a specific production please indicate.
- Resumé (include link to your website, if applicable)
- A letter of recommendation from an recognized industry professional who can speak to your ability in collaborative keyboard arts
- Three video recordings (see details below)
- Please play and sing the following. Selections should best represent your strengths.
- Any selection of your choice from the Baroque operatic repertory
- A selection from Little Women or a comparable selection in the style of Jason Howland
- Please submit a performance of a solo, chamber work (instrumental or vocal), or art song demonstrating the level of your pianistic skill.
- Videos should be uploaded to YouTube with links included on your YAP Tracker application. Please submit a performance of a solo, chamber work (instrumental or vocal), or art song demonstrating the level of your pianistic skill.
Links should be uploaded to YouTube with links included on your YapTracker application.