Val Underwood (HPAF Artistic Director)
Paul Floyd, Chair (LA Opera)
Hawaii Performing Arts Festival’s Collaborative Piano Fellowship Program will award fellowships to three outstanding pianists who are aiming for careers in the collaborative piano field.
Fellows will work closely with our piano faculty in one-on-one lessons and masterclasses which will focus on the art of vocal coaching, making orchestral reductions, continuo playing, audition repertoire, and other aspects of work of an operatic pianist and coach. Each fellow will be assigned as a primary rehearsal pianist for one of our three staged productions, under the guidance of our esteemed music directors.
Fellowships will include full tuition, housing, and on-campus meals.
– Letter of recommendation with speaks to your ability in collaborative keyboard arts
– Audio/Video recordings:
- Solo or vocal chamber music selection of your choice.
- “Be Kind and Courteous” from Britten’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream (Play and sing)
- Toreador aria from Bizet’s Carmen (Play and sing)
- Any selection from a Sondheim show (Play and sing)
UPDATE: All fellowships have been awarded for our 2019 Summer Festival. Please check back this fall for more information regarding our 2020 season!